Ferguson’s Rage Comes to LA

restfinalLOS ANGELES-Three months and 14 days ago unarmed teen, Michael Brown Jr. was shot and killed by Officer Darren Wilson in the city of Ferguson, Mo. Three months and 14 days later, the grand jury made the decision to not indict Wilson. Upon hearing the news, the world shook with anger.

Protestors across the nation gathered in the name of justice, or the lack there of.

In the city of Los Angeles, about 100 protesters gathered at Leimert Park in solidarity with Ferguson after hearing the announcement made 8 o’clock Monday night.

Nine-year-old protestor, Alecea stood in front of the crowd to share her peace.

“I am nine-years-old and I am watching the people of Ferguson suffering from the police officers, killing them with hate like we are little, small mice walking down the street, like we are nothing,” said upset, Alecea. Interacting with the crowd, she shouted, “Are we nothing?!”

In response, the crowd shouted back with a stern, “No!”

People at Leimert agreed that come Black Friday, to shut down all stores such as Walmart. They agreed that not one black dollar should be spent on Black Friday and continuously chanted, “Shut it down!” Social media is a tool being used to spread the word using the hashtag #BlackOutFriday.

The Ferguson, Mo. grand jury decision not to indict Darren Wilson in the shooting death of black teenager Michael Brown Jr. has brought outrage across the country, including in Los Angeles.

“They have been gunning down our children every 28 hours. We cannot just sit back and let that happen. The refusal to even indict Darren Wilson who indisputably killed Mike Brown and was not put on trial for me is just another straw that broke this camel’s back.  I am out here because I feel it is time for us to be mobilized, activated and transform a system that refuses to give us justice,” said Dr. Melina Abdullah.

A melting pot of ethnicities was all there to support. Making their voices heard, they took to the streets.

Protesters peacefully marched for two hours, from Leimert Park to Downtown Los Angeles gaining more and more supporters as the march went on. They yelled out chants such as, “No Justice, No Peace, No Racist Police.”

Before continuing their walk to Downtown, protesters stopped in front of the police station located on the corner of La Salle and King. Police officers stood on the rooftop, and looked down on them.

Protester Ashley Elizabeth expressed that being valued and heard was the reason she was out marching.

“I feel like the lack of the indictment is bulls—. If this can happen to Mike Brown, it could happen to anyone of us. This is something we should fight against and stand up for. My little brother, boyfriend or father could have been Mike Brown. They (cops) don’t see us as people, or human beings who bleed like they do. We need to be valued and we need to be heard and that is why I am out here, to take massive action and to be heard,” said Elizabeth.

Many individuals in Los Angeles took to the streets in protest of the Ferguson grand jury report not to indict police officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown Jr.

While downtown, University of Southern California (USC) students, ran out of their dorms, individuals left their vehicles and many left their homes to partake in the march. The march continued and at 11:20 p.m. marchers pulled down a wired fence and climbed a hill to gain access to the 110 freeway.

Marchers stopped traffic going both north and south. Police began to surround the protesters as many sat down on the pavement with their hands up, signifying Brown. The police then declared the protest unlawful, and said protesters had five minutes to get off the freeway or the police would have to start arresting people and using force. Many protesters remained on the freeway, holding their hands in the air and standing in front of the police lines.

Although a good number of protestors gained access to the freeway, many stood in the streets below, refusing to leave those threatened to be arrested, shouting, “United we stand, divided we fall!”

Twenty minutes passed and everyone was pushed off the freeway and back down the hill. There, the police announced the protest on the street as unlawful and people were given another five minutes to disperse. Helicopters, news trucks and hundreds of police officers surrounded the area. As officers moved down the street, some lined up along the sidewalk, dressed in protective gear and all were carrying firearms. Many protestors fled, some remained keeping their hands up in the air.

Protesters met again, Nov. 25 at 3 p.m. on the corner of Crenshaw and King. It is set to become an ongoing movement until justice is served for not only Mike Brown, but Ezell Ford, Tamir Rice and all of those who have been gunned down.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *